Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Never Underestimate Your Opponent

Rule #1- Never Underestimate Your Opponent - they can, and often will, surprise you.

I was cocky and un-prepared.

Big Girl Panties and a can do attitude was not enough.

When I called him out James pulled out the big guns.

James, you see, fights dirty.

To get to the James has always been an issue for me. Apparently, an hour at The James is much longer than an hour on the couch. So there has always been a list of things I would not be able to get done if I was at The James.

I had, however, overcome this hurdle early on. My issues, as you may recall, were occurring while I was physically AT the James.

It never even occurred to me that I’d be foiled at  getting TO the James again! I had mastered that task, climbed that hill, conquered that particular problem…so I thought.

Fucker threw me a curve ball in the form of a 9 year old boy.

Oooh, but he’s cute and he’s small and he NEEDS me! He can hardly read and he’s been abandoned by the people that are supposed to love him and here he is needing a home and a family, and here we are with a home and love in our hearts and no child to shower it on.

A match made in heaven?

Or a secret plot carried out to perfection by “The James”?

Well James, I bow to your evil genius. I have earned a healthy respect, I have eaten my words… but don’t count me out.

No Sir, the time sucker “aka 9 year old boy” has started to fit into our fold. I think last week I had exactly 1 non child-centric hour an evening…

I have regrouped, and have learned… I am chastened but I am not a quitter…

Ding Ding … Round 2 James… I’m coming for you!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... the '9 YO' sounds like a total surprise to you. I wonder if there are any more?

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Damn you, James.

    I truly love your humor ... took me a second to remember who James was ('cause I haven't visited James in like ... uhhh a decade ... plus a few).

    ...and the boy ... they do have a way of seeping into every nook and cranny of your life, don't they? Betcha wouldn't trade for anything though, wouldja?

    Kudos to you for opening your hearts and home to a child in need. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should really watch out for that James, he's a sneaky bugger you know.

    ReplyDelete